Me Thinks

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Ti' bits

A guy, I know, said, he voted for Sanjaya in the American Idol because he thought Sanjaya's sister looked cute. Maybe there are many more guys (even non-Indians) like him and maybe thats why he is still there in the race. Why hate Sanjaya? Poor kid!

A friend of mine actually thought "well-built man" in Indian matrinomial lingo means a man with a 6-pack body. How naive! She later discovered, to her dismay, that it refers to a fat man.

I read a lot but I definitely don't fall under the "voracious" category. And I go a lot by the recommendations from other readers. And most of the time, I end up hating those recommended books (Eg - Bridges of the Madison County, We the Living, Hitch-hiker's guide to the Galazy etc) But I still pay heed and read those books anyway because I don't want to be the one hearing "Oh My God, you haven't read THAT book?" :-) Namesake is what I have in my hands right now. YAWN! Next time, I'd think twice before making a statement like "Movies are always the bad versions of their books".

I am disappointed that one doesn't get a day off on Good Friday in the US. I once bragged to a collegue that in India it was a public holiday. I wasn't prepared for a "Why?" from him. Just blurted "Because India is not a hindu country, its secular. The snetiments of all religions are appreciated". That answer seems so dumb and lame now that I think back.:-) And I grew up.

14 Comments:

Blogger Me too said...

It's 'Black' Friday that gets all the attention here!

9:08 PM  
Blogger APAM NAPAT said...

Secularism, as I understand, is seperation of religion from state - not including all the religion and declaring holidays.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Oracle said...

Yaaru kannu vechaaloo...

Good Friday, not an holiday for us in India ;)

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nitpick Alert!
"A guy, I know, said,"
ithana ',' edhukku?

1:25 AM  
Blogger narayanan said...

engalukku Jan 1st'ku leave kedayadhu. kanda kanda Rajyotsava'kellam vuduvanga.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Rebelzz said...

Well-built mean 6-pack?????? OMG, I never thought of it that way.. Now, that I retrospect, it should mean that, should it not????? We are just sooooooooo used to the lingo used that we dont realise that it mit be terribly misleading for a lot of people... hmmm...

4:51 AM  
Blogger I said...

He's Marathi and he should go.

More impoartantly, if he were to win, think of all those e-mail fwds and noise pollution.

9:16 AM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

True MT. Even I like Black Friday better.
Rajesh, thank you but I agreed it was lame and dumb.:-)
Oracle, sure a naandhan.
Rastafari, naan punctuation la (yum) week.Adhaan.
Narayanan, I hear you. It is hard to work on the 1st. At least the TV stations should cut down those special programs lest we felt worse. What say you?:-)
S, you are smart.:-)
I, edhukku thiruppi? LOL @ e-mail FWDs.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Syam said...

what I heard was people who work at call centers in India are also voting for sanjaya without even watching the show....:-)

3:27 PM  
Blogger APAM NAPAT said...

Deepa,
So is the Indian govt. - lame and dumb.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sanjaya hard going... hope he make it to final three atleast. lets see.

and yes in India, we have good friday vacation but not for Easter..;)

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw ur comment - depend on you to observe these things. :) U know something? - you are the only person who 'knows' the most no. of things about this person, probably because you saw the person at his/her unguarded moment. :)

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you would, my guess, be the same person in real life as what you are on your blog.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Karthik Sriram said...

Couldn't get you - are you saying namesake was boring in its book version?

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home