Me Thinks

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Older sibling

Older siblings are fun. Well, no. Being an older sibling is fun. No matter what authority or power you actually acquire in life, your first taste of power is had when you have a younger sibling. An occasional "You have to study well, so your siblings learn from you" from parents and others is not that bad considering the amount of power thats entrusted. I've known so many older brothers who set ridiculous rules for their younger sisters. There is dress code and thats a given. Phone rules are still popular - no talking to guys after 8pm. When confronted with "Hey., you talked to other girls", they go "I know exactly what and how guys talk and hence the rule". Can't blame them. Girls with younger sisters still have the same rule. And the excuse is "I dont want her to commit the same mistakes that I did". Logical! Older siblings, inadvertently, become parents in the above cases.

With two brothers the power a.k.a domination is not that bad, at least comparatively. Maybe because there is no woman involved there.;-) With older sister and younger brother, things are slightly different. The power equation doesn't remain the same through out. I think thats because brothers grow taller and stronger at some point. I have only myself to look as an example. I still reminisce my heydays. Those days I ruled my brother with an iron fist. Flash back some 20+ years.......

It was a summer afternoon. We were visitng our aunt's place. No sane soul would do as much as peep out at that time of the day. But I wanted to go out and my brother had no option but to follow. We went to the nearby park to go on the slide. I decided to slide on the slide while my brother decided to stand at the end of the slide. Once I reached the top, I changed my mind. Instead of going down sitting like its done traditionally, I wanted to lie and fly down with my head leading and my body and feet following. Once I started that, I kept my hand on the slide to balance but it was way too hot. When I reached the bottom, I couldnt stop with my hand as it was too hot, I lost control and did a somersault. No bodily hurt but my pride and ego were severely bruised when I saw the suppresed laughter on my bother's face. He knew better than to laugh out loud then. I looked at him and he apologised. The sorry was so muffled and it was interspersed with laughter. There was laughter, sympathy, fear - you name the expression and he had it on his face. I had to think fast and think of an apt punishment for this gross disrespect. The sorrys came out quickly. I concluded "You slide and fall down in a similar fashion". He was pleading "I am wearing knickers and its too hot". Between every word he uttered, there was a pause and he closed his mouth to control the grin. I would have nothing of it. "You do it or I am not going to play with you from tomorrow. You have no friends, remember?" 10 minutes of pleading and negotiating went on and we were going nowhere. I had to discipline my brother, who else would do it, I thought. You dont laugh when someone falls down, do you? I was telling my own self and was satisfied with my judgment. Someone yelled out my name. It was my aunt's son, my cousin. "You take your your brother and go home right now". My cousin was like my elder brother. I heard it loud and clear. I had to follow it in letter and spirit. I held my brother's hand, got an approval nod from my cousin and headed home directly, no questions asked. And never talked about what had happened in the park. Hmmmm, those were the days........

19 Comments:

Blogger Oracle said...

Funny tale notwithstanding....

younger siblings are usually smarter, wittier and cuter.

I will contra-author a post about this some day soon. :)

11:54 PM  
Blogger Karthik Sriram said...

Yakka,

Being a ANNA is super cool - if you ask her, she will say ANNAN en deivam kinds - anda alavukku naanga brainwash panni vechu irukkom illa? And ennoda family la, appa amma side la naan daan first-u - so nobody to boss over me... Naan daan BOSS - VETTI BOSS!

12:51 AM  
Blogger Karthik Sriram said...

her in my prev comment was my Anbu Thangai! :P

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thevai.. Oru avasara meeting with Makki, thambi of lordlabak to discuss "Aanavam piditha Akka [older sibling]galai blog vazhiyaaga adakkuvadu eppadi?"

I can hear Makki say "Kadavuleeee [ to me] .. ippo vaareen. vandukineee irukken"

jikku.blogspot? keekudhulaaa?

@ Karthik sriram : ninaippudan pozhappai kedukkum

@ oracle : You are cordially invited for the 'Adakki aala-p-patta younger sibling meeting'

2:45 AM  
Blogger Oracle said...

Bubby,

I dont want to use this comment space like a bulletin board, yet couldn't resist:

"அடங்கா முடிகள், அணைவரின் அன்புச் செல்வங்கள் - இளைய சிங்கங்கள்்ள்்கள்"

Deepa,
Any spelling mistake above, the blame is on the keyboard I used. :)

7:09 AM  
Blogger I said...

thank god I don't have a sister. Too much seeru, sanam and selavu.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Me said...

rotfl...

11:49 AM  
Blogger Ajay said...

lol..do u read Freud?

1:34 PM  
Blogger APAM NAPAT said...

enakku andha prechannai illai. Orey varisu.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am 4th of 6. Boy, Boy, Girl, Boy (me), Girl, Girl. Difference between 1st and last is only 7.5 years!!! So dynamics and incidents are too many to narrate :)

4:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Siblings are definitely fun. Makes me feel bad for the current one-child generation. Don't know what they are missing ...

4:57 AM  
Blogger Sudha said...

Deepa i do not have a experience with younger or older brothers and sisters and as a result i think every body sisters ,brothers are equal.I like both my elder and younger cousins .No clash of power do i allow whether be it elder or younger.

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

deeps,
I still remember all that aatam u aadufied with magi....infact at one stage I became so envious of u, that I thathhu eduthufied Abhi as my thambi to do the same..:)

The irony in my case is, my akka doesn't even remember any bit of the mean things she did to me. I remember how she used to say that I should get hit 10 times whichever part of the body she desires, for her to allow me to play. And I used to be like, yeah go ahead and get beaten, just to get to play. And then she changed her strategy. after she finishes her 10th blow I could go. And she would stop with 9. I remember how much I used to beg her. And now she says she was the most uninterfering sis....ellam nelamai....
Lav

2:23 PM  
Blogger O Relly said...

WoW. Very nice write-up reminiscing those younger years.

It used to be a pain having an elder brother imposing rules at you, especially with that 'I don't want you to make the same mistake I made'.

But all that said and done, I loved it, and felt secure with a big brother around :)

4:06 AM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

oracle, NPK. (nenappudhan pozhappa kedukkum);-)
LKS, you might think you are en thangai kalyani TR or Mullum malarum Rajini but the true story would be revelaed only by your sister.
Bubby, blog ellam panna koodadhu nu naan rule pottutten already.;-)
I, seeru selavu?! Those days are bygones. Brothers are rightly not involved much in all that these days.
Me, nee epdi? Taniya illa sibling unda?
Ajay, have read only one of his'. Why?
Rajesh, maybe that should be another post - single varisus. You should do it.
Prakash, 6 should be fun. I am sure that has its disadvantages but definitely fun.
Sudhakar, clash of power adds to the fun. Now when my brother thinks back, he doesnt gnash his teeth. Only smiles. But that wasnt the case when this incident actually happened.
Lav, I remember how you always tried to impress her. I shall vouch for that and support you in front of her next time we meet.:-)
IWOBM, (wow, thats long) when you think back about things that werent too pelasant then, they dont sound all that bad, right?

11:32 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

did i bully my younger brother? or, did i missed that chance?? i am too old to remember what i did (or did not)... damn my rotten memory

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are right being the older sibling must be fun...

The youngest...

8:23 PM  
Blogger Avial said...

funny story for a rakhi week .
I have got bullied by my sis umpteen times, but I miss them now .

10:57 AM  
Blogger The Practical Idealist said...

Anaivarukkum koorikkoLLa virumbuvadhu ennavendraal, murpagal seyyin pirpagal viLayum, a.k.a. You reap what you sow, so watch out all the akkaas and annnans (if you haven't already reaped the fruits of your sins against your siblings, like mine did) ;-)

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home