Me Thinks

Friday, July 06, 2007

A link

Almost exactly (is that an oxymoron?) ten years ago, I was working in an IT firm in Chennai. I was having tea with 2 other people, One and Two. The conversation went thus.

One - I applied to TCS. I would have to take their test soon. Do you have their question paper?
Two - No, I have Infosys'.
One - I might apply there too. Give me the question paper anyway.
Two - I have it in my bag. Will give you.
One - Do you have the answers?
Two - Yes, but just the answers. You'll have to figure out the method to arrive at the answer though.
One - I don't think I have time for that. Lets see if I get lucky.

One and Two were/are very smart people. They are real go-getters and are doing really well now but still the conversation doesn't reflect that. And I think the question papers of Infosys and TCS remained the same for years.

What one learns in college/school is different from what the companies expect from graduates. Can analytical thinking be taught? I wonder. Maybe, if this website is to be believed. I loved this site. Its aptly named as gymnasium. Its developed by someone I know. And I thought for once I'd give a productive link.:-) If you do visit, leave a comment if you have the time and enthusiasm.

5 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

....of course they are smart people...question paper oda answer paperum vechirukaanga la...

6:11 PM  
Blogger Karthik Sriram said...

I think whatever you try, you cant exceed your intellectual capacity - if you keep working analytical problems like the one in the websites (and assuming you are not those IIT/IIM kinda people), then you will be able to solve similar problems, but not a totally new one. And even if you train yourself, the speed of a person with higher IQ will always be higher than a person with lower IQ( but more practice).

Hope I was able to convey my point.


@me,
LOL



LKS

7:00 PM  
Blogger Oracle said...

In my opinion,

No-one ever comes with right skills for any job, the successful ones comes with right attitude.

Most of the jobs (except in aeronautics) aren't rocket science and usually take not more than 6 months to master.

Latest recruitment mantra at Infy and TCS "Trespassers will be recruited". No wonder the papers didn't change!

11:29 PM  
Blogger The Visitor said...

lol@all

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could also check out http://lumosity.com/ for flexing your brain.

Cheers

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home