Me Thinks

Monday, July 23, 2007

A post for my son

My friend's idea kind of triggered this post. So this one is for you Varun on your Second Birthday.

I hope you enjoyed the day. We didn't throw a party like most parents do. Soon you are gonna be dictating what the party theme should be, how the cake should look like, who should be invited and what goes inside the goody-bag. And we'll be all ears to that. Yes, last year we celebrated because that was the first anniversary of our parenthood.;-)

You are a great kid. I get a high everytime I say I am a Mom and I thank you for that. Someday I might brag or tell codescendingly that I quit my job to take care of you. But that would be a lie. I quit because I wanted to be with you. I don't think you needed me as much as I need(ed) you. So quitting was the only option. You are two today and in a few months' time you would head to school (albeit for a couple of hours) So I decide to go to a business school myself just around that time. You, in a very indirect way, helped me make that decision. Thanks again. I am a hyper-parent I agree. I need to be around for every milestone of yours but I am not that proud-parent-of bumper-sticker types. I haven't uploaded any picture of yours, never talked about any of your "achievements" proudly in this space but I hope at the end of the day you get to feel our "Unconditional love". Thats what matters. Now that I think of that post, I wonder if parent-child love is unconditional. If loving unconditionally gives the parents utmost pleasure, that cant be deemed a selfless act for sure. Varun, this post has turned out to be a little too sentimental than I had imagined. Moral is, be a good boy and be nice to me. After all, I quit my well-paying job to take care of you.:-)

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY 2nd BIRTHDAY VARUN.. and yes, Happy birthday to my best jigiri dosthu.. you, dear Deepz.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU TODAY!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEEPA :)

Love

Bubby

12:27 AM  
Blogger The Visitor said...

A happy birthday to Varun and Deepa.

Varun - this is probably the first time Mom has spoken openly about you to us people who exist only in her virtual world, and I feel nice and happy about it. It gives me a sense of participating in some way in your lives. Hope we do get to hear more of your exploits from mom, I for one would be an ardent follower, as mum would surely know.
Have a great day and year ahead!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Musically Me said...

Many happy returns to Varun....

Great post.. i am sure varun will enjoy reading it when he can

2:41 PM  
Blogger Musically Me said...

Oh and happy birthday to you too...

2:41 PM  
Blogger Oracle said...

Happy Birthday to the lil one and you.

It rained in NJ suddenly yesterday in an otherwise sunny week. Now I know its paasa mazhai. :)

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy to be around this B'Day & Motherhood celebrations.

Many more happy returns of the day :)

4:19 PM  
Blogger I said...

uncondtional love is lifted from atlantizens. I claim royalty for that.

do u share your birthday with pullayandan?

6:16 PM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

Thank you Everybody. I am touched.:-)

7:42 PM  
Blogger Ajay said...

Happy Birthday, Mom and Son!

10:29 PM  
Blogger APAM NAPAT said...

Happy B'day Deepa and Varun. I remember wishing Varun last year.

Yo bhrama bhramana ujjahara,
Pranai sirahk krithivasa pinaki
Isano devas sana aayur dadaatu
Tasmai juhomi havisha grthena.

10:50 PM  
Blogger I said...

innaba rajeshu iyer maari mandhiram ellam solra

10:53 PM  
Blogger APAM NAPAT said...

adhu onnum illa, happy birthday to you happy long life to you nnu artham. Avalo dhaan.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Laksh said...

Happy B'day Deepa and Varun!

4:45 PM  
Blogger I said...

ipdi damil-e sonna dhane piriyum

5:13 PM  
Blogger Me too said...

Belated appy birthday to the Lioness and her cub!!

7:31 PM  
Blogger The Visitor said...

I was planning to ask for a birthday treat - and surprise of surprises - it was waiting for me! Not one but 3 at that! Thanks a lot!

9:30 PM  
Blogger The Visitor said...

BTW what is the meaning of musaphir?

12:40 AM  
Blogger The Visitor said...

Deepa - there is no correlation between the expectations of our 'friend' and this post that you've put up here. Your post doesn't qualify. LOL.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

Deepa, your post touched me in a speacial way, for we seem to share not only our names but our experience as a mother of a 2yr old... Happy BDay.

7:47 PM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

SK, I got the idea from there. Never said this post would qualify for that. When I refuse to claim "selfless parenthood", how can I write a post quoting an incident?
Deepa, thanks and welcome to this space.:-)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Nilofer Anbarasu said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VARUN.....

6:48 AM  
Blogger rads said...

nice post :)

So you at home these days eh? Trust me you wouldn't regret it a bit. The 1st 3 yrs are the most memorable and enjoyable. Ive done it and wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deeps,
I am still so confused if I should be a stay-at-home mom. I am in India now. And I just realized Anki has become so clingy. She wants thatha,paati,anna and all around all the time and loves their company. But all that in mom's presence only. She has this "wherez my mom" tears readily stocked up. May be things would have been different if I was working.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Premalatha said...

Belated birthday wishes to mom and son.

9:23 AM  
Blogger mommyof2 said...

Belated Happy B'day:-) God Bless you.

"I don't think you needed me as much as I need(ed) you"

*sigh* so right.. I feel the same way..

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Deepa :

As a proud parent of 3 myself, I am hoping that parental love is unconditional. But actually it aint so. I've seen so many old people taking sides to the siblings who treat them well to siblings who treat them like scum. They come to hate their children but in the deepest of heart they have an enormous pity on themselves on the love they poured into their children and the way they turned out to be. But all said and done, true love is unconditional. I have a friend who we are not in touch anymore, have lost her over the years and dont know her whereabouts but my heart just brims at the thought of her. There is another acquaintance i met only for 3 weeks, she made an enormous impression on me, i keep in touch though she doesnt. Becuase she doesnt feel the same way about me, and i am fine with that. I cant help it if she did not find me as aweinspiring and hence i feel the love i give to her is entirely unconditional, as i dont receive or expect anything back, as I am in the same situation myself when some of my friends want to keep in touch with me, i do oblige them but not indulge in them.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home