Me Thinks

Friday, November 03, 2006

Man Feet

After watching the "Man Hands" episode of Seinfeld for the umpteenth time, something prompted me to look down and I noticed my feet. And a tangent thought took off from there. Could there be anyone in this world who'd make fun of my feet calling it "Man feet"? Its possible.

I've always had big feet. I am not gonna tell my shoe size but you'll get the picture when I say my husband and I have the same shoe size. (No, he doesn't have small feet) I could swear my feet grew some more after I got married but no one believes me. During college days, I never could find the right size. Fortunately, I had 2 friends who shared the same pligt. So it didnt seem that bad then. And I always wore closed shoes. Infact, when the shopkeepers said they didn't have my size, I used to feel proud. :-)

In some weddings, there is a custom when the guy puts the toe-ring on the girl's toes. So when my husband bent down to put that, he looked up, smiled and then did the ritual. He got up and whispered "For a second, I thought I was holding the priest's feet". "ha ha funny" I laughed. Was it? I had painted my nails, had done mehndi meticulously. What are the chances of the priest having such drawings on his feet? And he actually meant I had man feet?!?! I noted this incident down in my mental diary of complaints and planned to attack after 90 days. (Don't they say in Tamil that aasai aruvadhu naal mogam muppadhu naal? So totally 90.)

After that day, the whole world seems to notice my feet and definitely not in awe. In winter, when everybody wears similar kind of bulky boots, I am reluctant to remove my shoes to enter some place. So many times I've heard the hosts say "Whose shoes are these? Can't be yours, its too big. Must be some guy's shoes." A few weeks ago, a guy was almost trying to sell me men's shoes because women's secition didn't have my size. Why are my feet suddenly getting noticed everywhere I don't know. Its not that they are abnormally large. A voice inside me says "Its OK. Man feet - you can live with it". Yes, I can.

24 Comments:

Blogger Syam said...

//For a second, I thought I was holding the priest's feet". //

LOL... :-)

3:39 PM  
Blogger rads said...

omg, you are my twin! I share the same "curse" of bigger feet - getting something fancy is almost a rarity. ..and I thought USA would be better!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Me said...

rotfl...on what ur husband said...90 days approm attack pannengala illaya??

btw
peggy has that..

5:09 PM  
Blogger APAM NAPAT said...

did u explore any cosmetic surgery options. Have u worn pointed shoes?

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one can accuse you of being too big for your boots :)

10:00 PM  
Blogger Mahadevan said...

You can safely leave your shoes outside temples. No feet would be available to rob them.

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

deepz.. Lol!neeyum en case-u daana?
and that's why i dont bother checking out chappal type, colour etc coz anywayz these kadais dont have our sizes. You go straight to the guy at the store and tell him "Sabse badaa size chappal dedho.. never mind the type, colour etc.."

8:04 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

on the positive side, you have plenty of options when it comes to shoes. you can wear your hubby's shoes without much problem :P :P

11:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Am in the same boat.... One consoalation is that my mouth is smallish and I can't put my foot into it!!!!

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)) sorry but that was funny :)
bigger the better the balance :p

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was bigger the feet better the balance :)

5:34 AM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

Syam, that laugh is not funny.:-)
Join the gang Rads.
Me, enna kelvi idhu? ofcourse major attack dhan.
Rajesh, I dont hate my feet, so haven't thought abou surgery.
TTM, good pun and yeah suits me.;-)
Mahadevan Sir, only people with abnormally short feet have an advantage not people like me. Small feet can fit into big shoes you see and not the other way around. (I miss reading your blog. What happened?)
Bubby, thats what i do too. idhula kooda choice illa...grrrrr
Inder, I do that already.
A4, thats a good one.:-)
Thanks for the laugh Anon.

3:06 PM  
Blogger mommyof2 said...

lol@ ur hubby's comment.

In one episode of Nanny fine she dreamt of having big feet during her school reunion picture.. It was so funny & so does ur post;-) sorry;-)

7:17 PM  
Blogger Vinod Ramamoorthy said...

:)) ... Even if u had not mentioned Sienfeld's episode, it would have come to my mind ! :)..Cool post !

1:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

good for you.. since your husband can be "in your shoes"(quiet literally) and still be comfortable .._)

you are funny.. and so do your husband (priest's feet)

3:56 AM  
Blogger I said...

My thumb toe is smaller than the index toe. Does that means my spouse will be dominant? Thiruda Thirudi logic.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Me too said...

I just can never remember my shoe size!
But I'm surprised you don't find your shoe size here(after all everything in the US of A is big, bigger, biggest)!

5:25 PM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

Thanks Mommyof2. Have never heard of Nanny.
Vinod, yeah true that episode would have come to anyone's mind.
Yuva, I am notgonna tell that to my husband though.:-)
I, dont know really.
Me Too, mine are not only long, they are wide too. You get the picture?:-)

10:37 AM  
Blogger Lavanya said...

monee, i bet the other friend u r talking abt is me....and if u say u have a man's feet...what would people call mine...i feel like the isaac asimov's alien char...:(...and this place sucks. they have no shoes my size at all....bata ke hi!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Munimma said...

what a great discovery, to find that I am not alone ;-) So many here with big feet, it is getting crowded and that definitely would be a problem coz of all the big feet :-P

I feel like my feet grow 1/2 a size every year.

1:07 PM  
Blogger APAM NAPAT said...

who is monee?

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 5ft 11in tall and have size 12 feet. Can it get worse?
SSV

5:56 PM  
Blogger VJ said...

LOL!!! :-) That was funny! I am imagining Karthik's state of mind and cracking up!

Monee - First time here ... I did not know you had been blogging all this while! Excellent stuff...will keep checking...

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

//For a second, I thought I was holding the priest's feet". //

jesus...was that funny or what...I love this kind of nice simple, timing comedy which won't hurt others...good one there
. I guess thats why I love sienfield too

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home