Me Thinks

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Thayirsadham

I never used to like thayirsadham or curd rice (or yoghurt rice if you will) for a long time. I don't remember exactly when I fell in love with this dish. But if I make a list of items that I would love to have at any time of the day, thayirsadham would be at the top of the list. Its not only simple to prepare but it almost always tastes good. Even though it was called thayirsadham, it was more of a diluted buttermilk or "more-sadham" most of the time for us when we were growing up. And I liked all variants of this dish.
I've always been ridiculed by people who have said things like "Muttal ku more sadham" or "tharudhalai ku thayirsadham".
My cousin and I had a very intellectually-stimulating conversation recently and we discovered why they said so. If a muttaal (an insane person) eats more sadham, he becomes clever and if a tharudhalai(cant translate this exactly, maybe irresponsible) eats thayirsadham, he becomes a good responsible guy. So those statements actually give a cure for two problems. We were so happy that we solved the greatest mystery of our lifetime. I am sure there are many more "pazhamozhis" (proverbs) like this that have been misinterpreted by people. My mission is to unravel them for the betterment of people like me.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How true. It really is a wonderful preparation. Probably the only dish (if you can call it that) where even if you go wrong, it still tastes nice. And, to think that those in North India use this "curd rice" to derisively refer to those south of the Vindhyas.

10:03 PM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

And I thought only tamilians are targetted! Maybe we need to start a thayirsadham mafia.:-)

8:08 AM  
Blogger Krish said...

Actually thayir saadham (or rather "more"saadham) is my favorite. And I have been eating it from chilhood, err, since someone told my mom I "need" moarnjaatham from childhood. Now that would explain my "transformation" and the recent score on the IQ test :-)

9:37 PM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

lol...thennavan thats true:-)

4:16 PM  
Blogger Yadayada said...

Same with me. I can have Thairsadham anytime of my day.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thayir or thayir saadam yuck. :P
A meal without rasam is a rasamilladha vaazhkkai.

10:01 AM  
Blogger R S Ramanujam said...

Kudos to you... It is heartening to know that there are people who stand up for the thayirsadham/ morunjaadham.

Way to go!!!

- Another proud patron of morunjadham

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home