Me Thinks

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Friend and Good Friend

This is my definition/discovery. A good friend is someone to whom you can say "I have to go now" and hang up the phone. A friend is someone to whom you say "What? I can't hear you, you are breaking up, you wanna call me later?" or "Someone is ringing the doorbell" or some other lie and you hang up the phone. I just hung up the phone after talking to a friend. And one of my voices is making me feel guilty. So what do I do? Resort to blogging. Now you be the judge.

This friend of mine is very sweet, nice and all but she has this weird habit of calling me up everytime she comes across anything thats related to India or Indians. When you are a new Mom and especially a stay-at-home one, you can easily spend more phone time with other new moms, whom you meet at the park or mall or wherever and some of them become your good friends eventually, well at least friends. Thats how I met Ms.Chitly-chatly more than a year ago. We've gone out for lunches together etc. The first time we went out for lunch, she was talking about how much she liked Indian food and went on and on and didn't stop till I said "You gotta come home sometime to try some Indian food". I didn't know about her habit then.

Another time she talked about bumping into an Indian at a salon. And then she called me once to say that a few years ago she had tasted pan at some place in New Jersey and asked if I had tasted one. Another time she called me to say she heard a few people talk about a good Indian movie called "Monsoon Wedding" and what my opinion was on that. Another time she called to ask if New Jersey had more Indians than Pennsylvania. All these phone calls are apart from the usual phone-chat sessions we have every month or week. She is having 2 Indian friends over for a dinner or lunch and you can imagine the number of times she'd call this time. "They are from the north.", "They would eat fish right coming from that city?", "Their names are X and Y, what do you think, typical regional names?", "So its alright to say Mr.Firstname actually? Thats how they call us", "I am sure it'd be a lot of fun to have them over, what do you think?" Yes, I've been chased by this friend of mine for the past 3 days and I can't talk on this topic for more than 10-15 minutes. And I am not a non-talkative person, just so you know. So I keep hanging up giving some excuse and man, she wouldn't quit. I feel bad, after all, I like her. Does he think I am intellecually incapable of talking about anything else? No, I should't accuse her of that. She does talk to me about other things - our kids, diapers, baby food etc. (Well, what else do you think Moms who are friends-because-of-our-kids talk about?)

And thats why I keep giving some excuse to hang up the phone. I rest my case.

17 Comments:

Blogger Laksh said...

Totally with you on that one. :)

PS: Yes this year had better be over soon. Can't take any more.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Harish said...

Better to avoid her rather than pretending to do so....

10:14 PM  
Blogger KK said...

hmmm sounds funny to me... Probably you should start asking her about people from her place :)

10:45 AM  
Blogger I said...

oho. now I know!

btw nc oothikichu.

- I

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is she a FOB?
why doesnt she talk these things out with her husb?
she doesnt use the net to kill time?

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ttm seems to me like.. she is an amru....

deepa....un kitta keta kelvi ellamey en kitta makkal ketu irukaanga....only diff is ...it is not the same person who asked all the questions....the questions were evenly spread over a long time ...not with in 3 days...

....see the best way is to take the "vaada dei madaya...okkaru da somberi....vaaya konjam moodu da" approach.....;)

& what happened to my comment on prev post??

4:43 PM  
Blogger Me too said...

dilaamo dilaamo!!
Enkitte maatta mattraangale, ivangallaam!! Indhiya perumaiya pesi konirupene! :)

7:32 PM  
Blogger Oracle said...

Friend:
Someone you wish they were just an acquaintance

Good Friend:
Someone you wish they had just you as their friend.

Idhu yeppadi definition?

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aparna oda number vaangi andha lady kitta kuduthudunga...matter over :-)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Swamy Srinivasan aka Kittu Mama said...

well written deepa

my wife used to hang up the phone ivar ippa daan vandu irukkaar. naan appuram panraennu. finally i become the victim :)

3:14 PM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

Hi-5, Lakshmi.:-)
Harish, logical suggestion but I can't do that.
KK, that would result in addiotional calls to accomodate those topics.;-)
Sriram, sorry to hear that. BTW, I tell you "I need to go" directly.
TTM, whats FOB? I know SOB. But seriously, what is it?
You are right Me. She is amru. Endha previous post comment? About you coming over for saappadu. You are most welcome.:-)
MT, oru level ku apdi solla mudiyum. Konja naal la even you'd run out of topics.
Oracle, nalla definition idhu. Sabaasu!
Syam, aparna kitta naan thittu vaanguven aprom.
Kittu, kalyanatthula idhellam sagajamappa.;-)

7:48 PM  
Blogger Laksh said...

Yes Maggie lives in CA and is Dileep's wife. We are pretty good friends.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, FOB = fresh off the boat desi. After stepping into US their desappatru surges exponentially.

1:28 PM  
Blogger ramya said...

a gud depiction of relationship betwn two ppl as what happend to my sister..

good job..

11:57 AM  
Blogger The Visitor said...

You have such an awe-inspiring personality that the weaker ones look-up to you.

and... and... you are so meaan. sniff..

Now I know what you think of me, when I comment on your blog. sniff.. sniff...

4:10 AM  
Blogger mommyof2 said...

I don't know if I should laugh or feel sorry for you;-)get caller id;-)

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home