Me Thinks

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Not there yet

A year ago, this American woman I know, Jane Doe, told me she was a bad cook and ever since she and her husband, started living together, he had been the one doing the cooking at home. I was taken aback. I thought no matter how bad a cook a woman is, she always tries tries and someday hits a point where the food she cooks becomes eidble. I've never heard of any man taking charge of the cooking. A woman and cooking come as a package I thought. That night, I slept late. I was wondering....not wondering about what she said but about the fact that I was actually thinking about what she said for so long. Inspite of my self-proclaimed "modern-ness", I guess I still couldn't accept what she said - letting a man cook "all-the-time". Then I reasoned thus. If a woman can work like a man, take up jobs that a man does, it is normal for a man to cook and take charge of the kitchen. As I inwardly applauded Mr. Doe, I realized THAT was a classic example of man and woman being equal. As much as I reconcile to this fact, I am still surprised/amazed. Guess I am not there yet. And I am supposed to be a part of the GeneratioNext.:-)

10 Comments:

Blogger I said...

As long as she's the one that cleans up the garage...

As a self-admitted feminist, I think that's totally cool. Whoever is the better cook should cook.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Me said...

i have seen this even a generation before mine....nothing new to me

4:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Agree with me have seen this before and in India, no shocks here

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont think there is any problem with that at all ... there are two people, whichever one of them wants to take charge of whatever he/she likes, should take it up. Most important, both should agree on it.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Ajay said...

they say 'nala baagam seiven'...

4:35 PM  
Blogger Ajay said...

deepa,
activate word verification to keep off spammers..

4:19 PM  
Blogger Srihari SN said...

Have seen this happenning at a lot of places, in India as well, not surprising.

11:08 PM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

MT, you are right.
Me, guess you have had much better exposure than I have.:-)
Ditto Wicked Angel and Mahadevan.
Ajay, thats nice to know. Would you totally take charge?If yes, hats off! And thanks for the spam tip. Have been too lazy to do anything on that front.
ha ha Vidya...:-)

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is her hubby 'John Doe' ?

"In the United States, the name John Doe is used for a defendant or victim in a legal example or for a person whose identity is unknown or is intended to be anonymous. Male corpses whose identity is unknown are also known by the name John Doe."

4:19 AM  
Blogger Mrudula Sreekanth said...

I think it is ia good idea. Why not? as you say when women can work like men and do other things which they do, why can't men cook.I have also seen it happen, even in Indian families and I appreciated it.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home