Me Thinks

Monday, June 16, 2008

Santhosh Subramanyam

This is not a review. I've been catching up with Hindi & Tamil movies and this is the last one I watched. I am a closet Jayam Ravi fan. I've seen his "M.Kumaran..." and "Something something...". So I wanted to watch this movie as well. He brings certain life to such characters. I wish I had enough enthusiasm to watch Telugu movies so I can actually see Siddharth in the corresponding roles. My limited Telugu understanding and lack of company keep me from doing it.

Anyway, it was a SURPRISE to see Sadagopan Ramesh make a debut in this movie. For the sake of a long lost friend of mine (B, what is our friend M up to these days?), I will refrain from commenting on this character. And what is Kousalya doing in this movie?! She is married to an American Maaplai and is on the phone through out the movie. Why was she selected for the role and why was she a married 'akka'? And why the character itself?! Has no relevance to the movie. I used to like her. Never watched any of her movies but liked her looks in songs like "Akila Akila' and "oru mani aditthaal". Like all heroines that have lost "market share", she is here doing the akka role.

Jayam Ravi is good as usual. And Prakash raj has to be the dad because he can't do the hero's role and there is no villain in the movie. VijayKumar, of course, is there as well. But how come he is not dying in this movie like he does in most movies? Geetha is the hero's Mom. The most annoying character was of course Genelia's. Sadly, she is in all 3 versions (Tamil, Telugu and Hindi). I think the Hindi version has Aamir Khan's nephew or somebody as the hero. And the songs are big hits if I have to go by the local Hindi channel.

I don't know if Genelia is annoying or its the Director who should be blamed for this annoying character. Her sole aim in life is to head-butt people, in this movie. The hero might find it cute but normal men (and women) definitely won't. There are million ways to show that a girl is outgoing, extroverted, social etc but the Director chose to portray this character as someone thats messed up in the head. And to think its "cute"!!!!!! But the movie's storyline is good and its definitely worth a watch.

Please suggest some good Tamil/Hindi movies for me. Everybody around is doing summer "reading", I wanna do summer "watching" and catch up.

20 Comments:

Blogger anantha said...

Actually i was going to email you about Ramesh being in the movie. I did a double take when I saw him first and actually googled and found a Behindwoods reference from last year. i thought you knew about it!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Blogeswari said...

Deepz, D10 review enga?

LOL @ Ramesh Sadagopan! ROFL infact! idukkagave pakkaren padatha! One of my cousins is a huge Kowsi fan so much so that he used to watch some Suntv serial post 10pm religiously where Kowsi played a double role.

Saw bits n pieces of this film on Suntv top 10, Kalaignar tv's patthu padam etc. I completely agree on potraying loose-u characters as extroverts. It is irritating. Laila was an expert in potraying such characters and I guess Genilia has taken over from her.

Prakash raj + wig irritates me like anything these days.

I am yet to watch Sarkar raj - paathutu sollaren. For this summer you can watch - Sarkar raj (going by the reviews), D10 (decent), Indiana jones (super peela!)

12:01 AM  
Blogger Story Teller said...

m not sure if you watched it, but i found Anjathey recently to be a good movie, you can try it out..

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Velli Therai is good!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Me too said...

Nice entertainer! Now that you have watched 'SS' and since it's a 100% scene-by-scene copy of the original, You should definitely (be able to) watch (& enjoy) 'Bommarilu' for Siddarth's sake!
If the director (for Genelia's character) had got inspired from Rekha's character in Khoobsoorat, too bad!!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

someone told me telugu version was way better...

11:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

and suggestion for better tamil movie-- only kamal makes one. so u hv one now.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I too think 'Anjathey' is great, though it cost me Rs. 10K (had an accident on my way to the theater)!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Oracle said...

Parents micromanaging kids, ...you seemed to have missed the core message ;)

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deeps,
Dos:
Anjathey is good.
Pallikoodam (fairly old now) is good.
pirivome sandhippome is one time watchable.
Watch Bommarillu is time permits. It is really good.
Race is ok.
Yaradee nee mohini is one time watchable

Don'ts:
Kuruvi
Bheema - (songs r good though)
And ofcourse all the movies which I dunno why some producers even bother investing. u and I cud write better storylines in school.

I love SS. I feel Sriram Padmanabhan would have been a more apt a name for it. And for some reason I could relate with Genelia quiet well for all the silliest things we used to do in college. I guess, we were even more loosu ponnus. I still remember the funny way of hi-fi which we wanted to introduce in our style....Running all the way from ethiraj to TVS bus stop. Talking in the code language in the local bus aloud to catch attention....I guess its the age.

2:56 AM  
Blogger APAM NAPAT said...

B is blogeswari. Who is M? Malleswari?
Oh! idhu dhaan "Mere baap, pehle aap" a?

11:35 PM  
Blogger Subi said...

man Jenila mayb a annoyin think to ppl lik us who hav watched movies lik "Pursuit of Happyness","Life s Beautiful" n al....here still ppl r doing "Paal Abishaegam " to heroes, thz ppl havent stepped into d next level.... if any gal does anything lik a Baby guys ll fall in love by tellin it as CUTE,thtsy Director opted HER,,,,
it ll take time for d ppl here to come to d next level....

10:23 AM  
Blogger Subi said...

i can prefer thz man...

Hindi : Sarkar Raj(yet to b released)

Eng : Life is beautiful(basically an Italian movie)

Tamil : ippothaikku aethuvum thaerala.....waiting for "Dhaam Dhoom"

Serial: Dexter.... awesome thing....thriller no. ......

10:31 AM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

Anantha, I didn't know. Please send me the link if you still have it.
B, D10 review varudhu. When I think of Kamal's acting, I run out of words....adhaan reason.:-)
DT, who is in Anjathey?
Anon, thanks...will check out velli thirai.
MT, Isn't bommarilu the Telugu version of "Something something.."?
Yuva, thats what even I heard and with "hot" Siddharth, I am sure it is.:-) And hi-5 for the kamal comment.
Prakash, I hope you are doing OK now. Is the movie or anything related to that worth that accident?
Oracle, message patthi ellam I don't worry too much. As I said this is not a review.
Lavu, LOL @ anology SS and SP. Namma ivlo loose a illa. Nee as usual exaggerate pandra.
rajes, apparently the hindi version is still being shot or is yet to start...something like that. I was wrong. Mere Baap pehle aap is also a different movie. Not realted to SS.
Subi, thanks for the language-wise selection. Yeah the "cute" thing is getting to be too much.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Nimme said...

@Deepa,
First time here from Karthik's Sriram Blog.

I slightly disagree to some of your views. Hasini's character has been etched that way. One of my colleagues who saw this movie said "LOOSU MADIRI IRRUKU anda character partha" but she was meant to be childish like that...Genilia has around 28K fans for that character in orkut community... I am not going with popular opinion but she did well what she was supposed to do.I aint a huge fan of RAVI,his voice is slightly feminie !

Try DASAVATHARAM

1:51 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

i know a few guys who are crazy about genelia after watching this movie :D

6:16 AM  
Blogger tris said...

sex and the city (SATC) paarthiye ellaya?

10:41 PM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

Nirmal, welcome to this space. Is't there a difference between being childish and acting like a person with less-developed brain? Can you imagine someone thats 20 and wants to head-butt people every time she sees someone?
Inder, she looks good. I am not surprised she has a huge fan club.
Tilo, long time...no haven't seen that yet. The ones who are just as enthu as me about SATC live far away, so lack of company is the reason. How about you?

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

first day, first show :-)
tilo

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

genelia is friggin annoying man )

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home