Me Thinks

Monday, August 07, 2006

Angrily, Anonymous

There are many reasons why a person blogs. Some have interesting tales, some want to become popular, some act like journalists through their blog, some write funny stuff and some write "well". And there are a million more reasons why one blogs. Apparently, a ranking system exists as well to see who's the best. But why do I blog? I use this space as a personal online diary. I don't have a pattern to what I write here. When you write in a public domain, you are bound to be noticed and commented upon.

The real fun in every blog is in the comments section. This section provides very good entertainment for blog-hoppers. The arguments, the mud-slinging, lets face it, its fun to sit back and read all that when your mind craves for something to escape from durdgery. Comments like "Good Post", "I agree" might mean well for the blogger but thats not fun for the readers. So, to do my bit, I never moderate (whatever little) comments that appear in my blog. But in all the blogs, you often come across these Anonymous-es that are most of the time angry and rude. Remember, not all of them but most of them. Why would a person stay anonymous while commenting? I don't understand.

These angry anon-s have a one point agenda - trash what you write. Sometimes they call you names without understanding what you meant. For example, after the soccer world cup, I wrote a post that didn't say anything good about Chirac or Zidane. It was sarcastic. But an anon didn't understand and called me a fool for supporting Chirac. Supporting chirac...ha ha funny. Countering these anons is a big task and for someone like me who can't even write long posts (well, this one is the first exception I think) its out of the question. So I have a request to all these angry anons. When you do name-calling and disagree, please make your comments more credible by explaining your stance. You don't have enough time or are too much of a wimp to leave your name (by the way, what will happen if your name is known?), so make your stance clear or let your point of view be known, if not for the blogger's sake, at least for the blog-hopper's sake. That way, the readers know that angry anons actually mean something and have an opinion, right or wrong.

25 Comments:

Blogger Syam said...

title was really good... :-)

sari vidunga avangaluku irukum arivus ku can't even able to create a blog and leave a comment with a name...

6:59 PM  
Blogger Syam said...

forgot to ask you, unga blog la first comment potta puliodaharai kudukum custom unda :-)

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It depends...I have some anons commenting in my blog whose posts made perfect sense too. I have seen the OP(original postor in usenet lingo) jump on the anon's lack of a name rather than counter his point!
From the other perspective, what's a name in the land of neutrals? A name like mine is no different from an Anon :) In some ways, better to be a anon with reasonable logic than to be a named being universally known to exhibit flawed thinking(in context of reasonable anons, not the back-stabbers).
Sufficiently backing an opinion with analysis is the name of the game.

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also is there a difference between an anon and a first-name-only postor? :)

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The anon is hardwired into every one of us. It's like the person who hoots in the middle of a movie. Their anonymity feeds them with a comfort feel.

12:38 AM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

syam, adhenna puliodharai? Fav. dish ah?
TTM - "Sufficiently backing an opinion with analysis is the name of the game" This is what I ask of them. Agree, you are as anon as the anons. But at least when you have the same signature, I know its you thats commenting. Besides, my point is not to make them leave the name. I am just curious why they don't. But my point is angry anons can restrain a little bit and let their view come forth instead of anger.
Vijay, thats a good perspective.
Mahadevan Sir, I definitely willing to take brickbats as long as thats not their only agenda.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:12 PM  
Blogger I said...

'Give me sex or give me death'. And I did not post as anonymous. I really do not know why I said that.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Me said...

....deepa oda orey post....all anons bayandhutaanga....look they are teaching u ways to make $900 more....

...deepa neenga yengayooo poiteenga....

11:17 AM  
Blogger Casement said...

The real fun lies in the comments than in the blog, very true:)

3:58 PM  
Blogger Prabhu said...

Really, I agree, I look forward to the comment section more than the blog itself :)

12:34 PM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:32 AM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

I, agree most of the times you don't know why you say/do certain things. Good luk with your quest.;-)
Me, thats true. Oru "dada" feeling varudhu enakku ippo.;-)

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I" just wants to carve out a blog image for himself "that he is different". In reality he is just another Desi doing just the same things.
- My opinion
Rajesh

1:14 PM  
Blogger Anil P said...

Can't fault you for that :)

10:59 AM  
Blogger Ratish Mani said...

:) good point ! But being a pessimist, it might be somebody whom you totally know work with or something like that who just to do it to piss you off !

The best thing to do is, ignore !

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not directly related to anon comments - but relates to comments and disc. forums: Flame Warriors. I am not a bot :)

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More links for you:

Expresion without Responsibility
A Female God? could hurt your sensibility
Feminism link
Boys too are muddle headed
Use Cocomment to track your comments on other blogs
Some good links that you might like:
Gounder Brownie Speaks

More if you like them!

Please, please read them - i get paid for each hit on the pages ;).

I am a human ANONYMOUS bot. LOL

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a mom? Then you should read Boo. sample

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A day in the life of an addict

He was a lonely soul - looking for company. He was at the lowest ebb of his spirits, the absolute pits, when he saw a comment on his comment on a blog, like a lamp in the darkness. It raised his spirits; he thought it a divine sign to tell him that his self-imposed solitary confinement was over. With a pounding heart, he hurriedly went in search of the commentor. He found her to be an interesting person, and he responded to all her posts. It's 24 hours since that happened. The page says 17 comments. Now with a trembling hand he reaches for the mouse to refresh the page for the maybe the 1000th time; this is the last time he vows. 18 comments! Excitedly he scrolls down. It isn't she :( His shoulders droop; he takes a moment to light a cigarette, before hitting the F5 key for the 1001th time.

5:46 PM  
Blogger D LordLabak said...

selva....funny. Got all your comments. Man, you are addicted to bloghopping, I believe you now.;-)

7:21 PM  
Blogger The Visitor said...

deepa - the sleuth ;)

12:35 AM  
Blogger concerned citizen said...

I never moderate comments either. I don't mind a little conflict, sometimes it livens up the blog. i have a couple of people who visit my blog that like to argue with other. They get really nasty sometimes, but I let them have at it. free entertainment. I am a bit of a comment whore, too.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it possible that some are anonymous coz they dont have a bloggers id?

Ya well they can sign the post with their name, but what difference is it gonna make.

anyways,
svk

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home